Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Undiscerned Spiritual Pride

From the back of our bulletin, February 18th, 1996. Yes, that was over a decade ago.

"A few months ago after reading Jonathan Edwards' chapter called "Undiscerned Spiritual Pride" in a section called "Obstacles to Revival" in his Thoughts on the Revival of Religion, I was prompted to spend a day doing a Bible study on pride. This was the end product:

Self Examination Questions for Discerning Spiritual Pride

1) Have I spoken of others' sins with levity or contempt? (instead of with grief or not at all)
2) Have I treated others with suspicion? (instead of suspecting no one's heart more than my own)
3) Have I been rough or harsh with anyone?
4) Have I said or done anything with the intention of being noticed?
5) Have I shown favoritism or neglected someone?
6) Have I been irreverent or disrespectful of God or men?
7) Have I been too talkative? (instead of slow to speak, quieted by His love)
8) Have I shown an unhealthy interest in controversy?
9) Have I been unwilling to listen to God or men?
10) Have I been defensive?
11) Have I insulted or mocked anyone?
12) Have I been irritable, impatient, or easily offended?
13) Have I been thankful for all that God has given me?
14) Have I sought God today, or have I lived as if I didn't need Him?"

1 Comments:

Blogger isaiah543 said...

Alright bloggers, How'd you score?

I think it'd be funny to put this up on quizilla.

"If you scored 5-9 you're an insufferable prig. Here's an avatar for your blog..." Anybody smart enough to know how to do this?

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home