Monday, June 19, 2006

Two Innumerable Things in Psalm 40

I had a great time last week praying with some of you at the Green St. Coffee House. (Sorry, I'm never going to warm up to its new name, Bar Giuliani, that's goofy. But dumb name or not, you're invited to join us Wednesday at 7am.) Last week we prayed through Psalm 40 and I decided to linger there a few more days.

I was struck by the repetition of the phrase "beyond number".

verse 5: Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders which Thou hast done, And Thy thoughts toward us; There is none to compare with Thee; If I would declare and speak of them, They would be too numerous to count.

verse 12: For evils beyond number have surrounded me; My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to see; They are more numerous than the hairs of my head; And my heart has failed me.

Our iniquities are innumerable. Notice David says this even after he has been lifted out of the miry pit and had his feet planted on the rock. Still his iniquities overtake him. But thank God that there is something even more innumerable than our iniquities--God's wonderful and gracious thoughts toward us. As Sibbes said, there is more mercy in Christ than sin in us.

1 Comments:

Blogger isaiah543 said...

It's on Green St. between 6th and Wright. You can park on the lot at the corner of 6th and Green. for 75 cents an hour, or park at a meter for the same price on 6th just south of Green. It'll be great to have you join us. I think P.J. is baristing this week, but Houseboy and his girl have been there every week, hopefully they'll be back again. We might see softy again as well.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home